Thursday, October 27, 2005

Yesterday, I tried to write, I did, but I just could not muster up the energy. I said everything that needed to be said the day before; but today, I am refreshed and ready to write some more.

Vermont--the Green Mountain State is my host for the duration of this 10 day trip. My first night in this amazingly beautiful state consisted of me alone in my car staring at the natural beauty that is upstate New York and Vermont. Me, alone in my motel room--a different brand too so it felt a little funny. Me, alone at a bar eating dinner--watching a bunch of close friends drink, eat and laugh together. And, last but not least, me alone watching the World Series, falling asleep to the World Series and missing the climactic ending of the World Series. All in all, it was a special day for the lone traveller.

Today, October 27th, was pretty awesome. It was a moody day in the mountains of Vermont and as always, really beautiful.
This morning, as I picked out my clothes, I decided to take a fashion risk. Now, this garment that I am wearing has been sitting in my closet since last Christmas because I have not had the guts to wear it. Because Vermont is, well Vermont, I thought it would be a good day to try something new. People here are pretty forgiving so the chances of someone outright laughing at me was slim to none....not that I really care if people laugh at my clothes, but you know... My new(ish), spiffy trench-type coat has one of those pleasant silky liners, feeling nice against my skin. I wrap my green scarf around my neck, look in the mirror, scrutinizing, and decide,"What the hell!" Normally, I would consult a friend or co-worker shortly after leaving the house to find out if I needed to feel embarassed for the rest of the day, or if I could stick out my chest and prance around like the proud pony I am. Well, today, I was on my own. And Vermonters, being the accepting people they are, presented no reaction. No laughing, no smirking, no compliments, no nothing. This could mean that it is horrible and they feel bad for me. It could mean that it looked professional so there was no reason to comment. Or, it could mean that people were slightly frightened of my fashion choices and, therefore, frightened of me so they declined to comment. Ladies and gents, you have just had a scary insight into my wandering brain. The very brain that keeps me from falling asleep during all my hours in the car. Speaking of the car....

As I was driving from Bennington to Bellows Falls, it decided to blizzard on top of one of the mountains I was crossing. As I drove down a long, steep hill -slowly because I don't trust my rental car- I noticed a sign that said,"Runaway Trucks" with an arrow to the right. About 25 yards later, there was a steep ramp off to the right that was about 50 yards long. This pattern continued about every half a mile until the ground levelled out. Wow! My dreams of driving big trucks in the mountains are shot!
First of all, that is a scary sign causing me to immediately check my rearview mirror and grip the steering wheel a bit tighter. My little PT Cruiser would not stand a chance! Secondly, if those trucks are screaming down this icy, curvy road at God only knows what speed, is 50 yards of ramp enough to slow them down? And, wouldn't they have crashed by then? Those curves are not just your average meandering curves, but switchbacks on ice with large ravines on either side. Needless to say, my trip down the side of that mountain consisted of me checking my rearview mirror, gripping the steering whell, feeling petrified and laughing my ass off!
All in all, today was just another exciting day on the road.

1 comment:

UltimateAmy said...

Depends on where I start. Basically, I drive to a town the night before, wake up really early, do school visits and drive to the next town. Sometimes, when I am lucky, I get to stay in the same place two nights in a row!