Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Do you ever find yourself smiling at, responding to or relieved by the voice of a radio personality? Like an old friend, the voice appeases, teases, humors and informs you-life feels more manageable, understandable.

Each morning, I wake up to NPR's Morning Edition, moving from groggy to alert with these familiar voices as my soundtrack. As Carl Kassell wishes me good morning, I feel certain it will be now that I have heard that full, gravelly baritone voice. As Daniel Schorr explains and analyzes the week's events, the world and it's toils make more sense, feel a bit more manageable. These people are with me at some intimate moments--as I shower, dress, cry, sleep, wake-up-- delivering my coveted information wrapped in familiar, smooth, measured tones. Then, Marketplace comes on and my heart beats a little faster as Scott Jagow and Kai Rysdall fill the airwaves with their sexy voices.

Over the years, I have developed a bit of a crush on the two Marketplace commentators because of their smiles and senses of humor. I have adopted Carl Kassell and Daniel Schorr as cool grandfathers who help me understand this cruel, hard world--explaining and discussing the issues affectionately with me. All of this affection, trust and familiarity developed without ever seeing, meeting or speaking with these people. I have welcomed them into my home, my brain, my heart without any sense of who they are beyond the airwaves. How can some voices I hear each morning feel so much like family? How could I have such affection for people who I have never met, or even seen in a photo? I don't know the answers, but I do know that I plan to invite them into my home, car and hotel room for many years to come.

No comments: