Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Today I smelled snow, wood stoves burning and fresh air. Winter is here, I thought, as I stuck my tongue out to catch snowflakes. Softly landing on my pink tongue, the white snowflakes danced and tickled as they melted. Despite their coldness, the sensations they created warmed my innards and soothed my soul. My black, wool pea coat was quickly covered by white flecks like a dark chocolate macaroon, looking nearly as edible. Moving my snow laden, heavy eyelashes skyward, I watched as the snow silently fell out of low, gray clouds and enjoyed each pinprick of ice on my face. Time briefly held still and I felt each of my 27 years layered on top of each other, with images and sounds accompanying the memories. Feeling light and heavy simultaneously, I continued on toward the high school I visiting with my face raised to greet the flakes. Winter is here, I thought, and I smiled.

No comments: